Thursday, July 06, 2006

MEZZAVALLE: Mountains of possibilities

MAKING MY WAY down the beach I stop every few feet and lower myself to a squatting stance.

My eyes search the naturally rocky shore in hopes of spotting a small speck of green sea glass amongst the varying gray and cream-colored rocks. The crash of a wave pierces my ears and I instinctively jump up in avoidance of soaking the towel I have wrapped around my shoulders.

Before me is the great Adriatic Sea. The long stretch of beach I am walking on is only one of many lining the eastern shore of Italy. Unknown to most American travelers the Conero Riviera is a truly spectacular sight.

The crystal clear blue water goes out as far as I can see and the air is rich with the smell of salt. Restaurants line the beach and specialize in various seafood dishes. But here in Mezzavalle there is only one.

Behind the shore is Monte Conero and the surrounding mountains of the Le Marche region. It is possible to be in the country at a vineyard and then laying on the beach in less then 20 minutes.

The area supplies a host of activities including horseback riding, hiking, biking, various water sports and a plethora of small traditional medieval towns to visit.

The friendly demeanor of the local Italians vibrates throughout the resort towns and small villages and it is here on Italy’s Adriatic coast that one can have a truly wonderful experience.

I drop the small rounded pieces of glass into the plastic bag I’m using to hold my collection and make my way back towards my friends.

- Berit Baugher

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home