Friday, July 14, 2006

CAGLI (part III): In the end, the right decision

“WAIT,” A MAN said in broken English. “Who you pick, France or Italy?”

I am standing in a crowded bar in Cagli surrounded by several crazed soccer fans watching the last minutes of the 2006 World Cup championship game. The game is 1-1 and the overtime periods have not resulted in a wining shot.

The Italians huddle around the TV waiting for the shoot-out to decide the winner. The hunger for victory can be seen in their eyes as they eagerly anticipate winning the World Cup for the first time in 24 years.

You could say I am in a slightly dangerous situation depending upon how I answer the question.

Now, you would think that this was an easy decision. I am in Italy after all, so of course I should want the Italians to win. And I do to some extent.

However, having grown up in a household with a mother who spent her summers in France and a grandmother who was raised there, you could say that I am, in most cases, inclined to chose France when it comes to situations where you are required to pick a country.

And so continues the great debate: who do I want to win the World Cup Finals? France or Italy.

I had visited France several times as a child and have several deeply rooted memories there. But the last three summers I have spent a significant amount of time in Italy, where I also have family, and have grown to love the country and it’s people.

“Italy” I answer with a grin and absolute certainty, knowing that I mean it because I truly do want the Italians to win.

I love both countries but the prospect of being in Italy for the celebration afterward is just too tempting.

The crowd roars after the Italy scores the final penalty kick, defeating France, and it brings a tear to my eye.

- Berit Baugher

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home